Advanced Building Products has taken the traditional furring strip and re-designed it to function in the modern building environment. Watairvent® Furring Strips are manufactured from a mold resistant non-absorptive composite material, and their dual vertical and horizontal channels allow for dual drainage and cross ventilation.
Click below to view the virtual brochure!
Installation over 1/2″ OSB or plywood intended for clapboard siding
• Install your weather resistant barrier (WRB) of choice over the surface area of the sheathing. Be sure to tape all seams.
• Place Watairvent® Furring Strip horizontally at the base of the wall around the entire perimeter (Diagram A) to prevent bugs from entering the channel.
• Place the Watairvent® Furring Strips vertically every sixteen inches on center aligned with the wood studs (Diagram A). Fasten the Furring Strip with either a 1.75″ nail or other approved fastener. It is important to penetrate the studs by at least a 1 1/4″. Per R703.15.2 of 2018 Intl. Residential Code. Can be installed horizontally as well.
Installation over 1″ insulation intended for clapboard siding
• Place the WRB of choice between the sheathing and rigid foam insulation. A drainable WRB is preferred.
• Place Watairvent® Furring Strips horizontally at the base of the wall around the entire perimeter to prevent bugs from entering the channel (Diagram A).
• Place the Watairvent® Furring Strips vertically every sixteen inches on center aligned with the wood studs. Be sure your fastener length accounts for the entire depth of the assembly. Follow siding manufacturers installation instructions. Can be installed horizontally as well.
Installation at Windows and Trim
• Flash window per manufacturers recommendations.
• Additional Watairvent® Furring Strips should be installed behind vertical window trim and corner trim.
• Watairvent® Furring Strips should be installed directly up against the windows nailing flange (Diagram B).
• Leave necessary gaps for differential movement. (Diagram B).
• Trim windows and doors per manufacturers recommendations.
Installation at top of the wall
• Watairvent® Furring Strip can be installed horizontally at the top of the wall. Similar to the base of the wall whereas the furring strip will act as the bug screen and the airflow channels will remain free of debris.
• Leave a .75″ gap between vertical and horizontal furring strips to allow for differential movement (Diagram A).
• Install all wood clapboards and cedar shakes per siding manufacturers recommendations.
• Use a plywood blade installed backwards (often used for cutting vinyl siding) or cutting shears for best results.
Watairvent Starter Strip Detail
Watairvent Starter Strip Isometric Detail
Batten / Furring Strips Material Thickness Piece Size Pieces Per Box Boxes Per Pallet Watairvent® Furring Strips – White Polypropylene Plastic .375” 1.75” X 8’ 50 (400 lineal feet) 36 Watairvent® Furring Strips – Black (For Open Joint Cladding) Polypropylene Plastic .375” 1.75” X 8’ 50 (400 lineal feet) 36